View Single Post
      04-22-2018, 11:19 PM   #1
DARKKN1GHT
Private
Rep
Drives: 535XI

Brake upgrades from other BMW models on F10

As the title states I have begun to play around with retrofitting brakes from other BMW vehicles on my F10 535i xDrive in hopes of achieving cheaper options for an upgrade in brake performance. Hopefully this thread will be a nice source of information for others wishing to do the same and possibly help out with what fits and what doesn't.

So far from my online research and personal experience it seems that (7 Series ) F01 front brake calipers and rotors are a direct bolt on to our cars. Bigger caliper while still a single piston, uses a 374x36 Rotor. The stock F01 rear calipers do not fit as the F01 doesn't use the electronic brake on its caliper.

It seems that E60 stuff may fit on the front as well based on online research but not entirely sure as I have not tried it personally. E60 M5 calipers are cheap and 2 pistons with a 374x36 rotor as well.

G11 Brakes sadly did not fit. I was able to bolt them on my F10 and the front calipers themselves mount up to the carrier but will not work due several design changes of the cars. BMW went from 5x120 to 5x112 bolt pattern, therefore the brake pad of the G11 caliper interferes with the hub of the 5x120 rotor, it also was not centered on the rotor itself, but a washer or spacer could have fixed that. The rear G11 calipers did not fit at all.

I am in the process of fitting the front brakes from an E70 X5M/X6M. These brakes are massive and are a Brembo caliper with four pistons. The rotors are also massive at 395x36. So far the X5M caliper bolts on to the stock carrier without an adapter and everything appears to line up. Still waiting on new brake pads and rotors I ordered to fit everything up and test them.

I've attached some pictures. Blue calipers are G11 and Black ones are X5M.
Attached Images

Last edited by DARKKN1GHT; 04-22-2018 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 3