View Single Post
      06-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #123
kimoboy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Copied

New project - retrofitting the F10 550i front rotors into a 535i .....

This interesting topic popped up previously in various forums around the world. And today we had the opportunity to implement this project here in Singapore.

Stopping efficiency is dependent on a couple of factors

- Friction coefficient of the brake pads
- Tyre traction
- Force of the caliper clamp
- Size of the rotors

This upgrade of rotor size using a larger rotor from the 535i's brethren would provide increased stopping power.
The general rule of thumb is that the larger the rotor diameter, the more torque is available to slow down a rim. It's like lengthening a lever from its pivot point ....

The stock F10 535i rotor measures 348 x 36.

The F10 550i on the other hand measures 374 x 36.

The upgrade would also include the larger brake dust shields and a set of brackets to hold the calipers together ......

The zinc coating would provide protection against rust and corrosion. The larger bell housing helps reduce the rotational mass.

We paired the rotors with a set of Porterfields R4-S which has a higher friction coefficient then the stock pads due to its Kevlar and Carbon content.

You may be surprised but the one thing that would influence brake fade is the brake fluid. We know we have to test it at every servicing but to bleed it correctly is a matter of process or experience - this we will talk more about in the next post
Attached Images

Appreciate 0