View Single Post
      02-07-2019, 11:59 PM   #31
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
nice update. I see a lot of orange peel in the paint! so are those the M5 look fenders you ordered already painted? the transition from the pillar to the fender seems to be a bit off? the lines are not flowing correctly. I like the metallics in the paint!
Interesting, was not aware of the term orange peel until now, I am not familiar with the process. but the shop said they are going to sand it now and it's not finished.

was just reading online that is not the ideal way to go about it, should the paint job have come out without orange peel to begin with? was just reading that sanding it to correct the imperfections is a bad idea as it reduces clear coat thickness. So is it something that I should bring up? or is it possible they applied a thick coat of clear coat with the intention of sanding it later?

Those are the m5 fenders from ebay, they came primed black, they where sanded with 1500 grit paper and painted. (twice after the orignal blend job with the wrong paint) The doors where also sanded even tho they where in good shape, i was told this is to blend the color into the fenders.

The alignment of the fenders looks off, even the originals I removed seemed off esp the part you mentioned that meets the windshield is wider than the side windshield piece and does not seem to sit right. I would have to see what an original car looks like.

Unfortunately since the fenders are aftermarket there is only so much they can do to make them fit right. I would be unreasonable to expect oem fitment on a non oem part.

Yes I really like the metallic in the paint. It looks pretty cool.

I was told the the hood hinges are bent so Im getting a piar from bmw tomorrow for 60 bucks a piece.

Also found out i need safety inspection before the Illinois police inspection. So I need to keep moving forward.