01-13-2016, 03:41 PM   #10
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F11 520 M Sport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
There doesn't seem to be conclusive data on why some engines (even out of the so called manufacturing date period) have the timing chain issues.

It appears the N47 engine has more timing chain issues than say the N57 with the same timing parts, but we assume more load, mass, inertia, etc., to its work cycle, does suggest some of the cause is in the way the N47 engine may be used. The fact there is some anecdotal evidence the N47S1 engine (325d) appears to have more timing chain issues, may suggest the higher tune, and/or working the engine more, revving more/higher could contribute to premature issues.

If that is the case, tuning the N47 and working it hard (low and high revs) is not going to help longevity. More regular oil changes may help a bit, but if it is due to stress and fatigue, possibly some working frequencies, (e.g. torque pulses at the rear of the engine where the timing chains are fitted), moderate use/engine load may be the best way to extend the life. Or replace the parts as a matter of course, ahead of issues.

HighlandPete
Interesting points Pete. I'll deffinatly be driving mine lighter on the old right foot now thats for sure. A couple of the indys I spoke to advised annual oil changes and letting the engine heat up before reving higher. Mines has full bmw service history but I cant account for the way the first owner drove the car.....probably driven hard!
Appreciate 0