04-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Well over 2million F10s have been produced and I've only seen one or two threads on this forum concerning a thrown rod. Chances are in everyone's favor that this is not a common production issue with non-M variants.

If you want to talk about rod bearings, head over the ///M forums. S54, S62, S65, and S85 engines are all plagued with a chance of lower connecting rod bearing failure. I've owned them all and the fear is real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR View Post
Never said it was an issue, just said there are recent cases of N55's (not just F10's) that have thrown rods or blown their engines. Just the same for the N63. Just stating to the OP that the risk is nearly the same with the N55 and the 535d in terms of reliability concern.

I know all bout the Rod Bearing issues that plaques those engines. I used to own a '08 E60 M5. The S85 had many other issues that plaqued it, throttle actuators, idle actuators, VANOS, rod bearings. The SMG had its fair share of issues too. That is my least favorite BMW I've owned.
the s85 and s65 engine family revs to 8000RPM, rod bearings are an issue with any engine designed to operate at such a high speed. the rod bearings were also apparently too tight for 10w60 oil, and that 10w50 works better but no thinner.

rod bearing failures on normal engines like the n55 happen, but are very well and almost certainly resulted from driving aggressively with a 0w oil in the engine. use 5w40.
Appreciate 0