United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrashton View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi JLR

Is the chain supposed to sound like it's not moving smoothly and is it a persistent sound or does it come and go.

I was listening out the other day and is a cold start a good or bad time to hear out for it.

What mileage for you on and did you do Interim oil changes?

Thanks

Sp
Assuming you have a 520d with the N47 engine, I'd get it checked out asap as they do have a propensity to leave the owner with a huge bill when it eventually fails. If yours is the 520d, just do a search for N47 timing chain and there will be plenty of hits.
Hi there

Yes I have the n47 engine

I thinks it's all the torque extracted from the 4 pot possibly putting a strain on the belt or tensioner.

I've heard a slight sound and it comes and goes

I'll ask them to have a look and ask them to document it if they say they can't hear anything especially if it builds up to the chain eventually.

I'm planning on keeping the car long term so definitely want it sorted.

It's ok 45k at the moment

Full service at dealer as the idrive.

Sp.
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0