01-14-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2010 BMW 5-series touring spyshots

Source: Car Magazine / Ben Pulman

These are the very first pictures of the new BMW 5-series Touring. Snapped testing in Germany, the new 5-series estate will boast BMW’s latest Efficient Dynamics technology, Concept CS-inspired looks, an eight-speed automatic gearbox and a further development of the current car’s aluminium and steel platform.

But the new 5-series Touring will still have a sloping rear end so if you're after a particularly roomy 5-series we'd suggest its sister, Progressive Activity Sedan (PAS) isntead, which BMW insiders claim offers as much interior space as a Rolls-Royce Phantom.

Will it be a good looking BMW 5-series?
Should be. Both the dead-in-the-water Concept CS and new 7-series will influence the new Five's design, so expect a big kidney grille and big flat sides. LED eyebrows should also feature, wrapping around the famous 'angel eye' headlights.

Size-wise the new 5-series will be around 10mm longer than the existing car, but a shorter front overhang and longer-wheelbase should ensure much more room inside.

And to help make this new 5-series the ‘ultimate driving machine’ the options list will offer up active steering, lane guidance, a head-up display, adaptive cruise control and dynamic drive. An eight-speed ZF-sourced automatic – that will improve acceleration and reduce emissions – will also be available.

And the engines?
The engine line-up should look a lot like this:

Diesel:

520d – 2.0-litre 4-cyl turbo
530d – 3.0-litre straight-six turbo
535d – 3.0-litre straight-six twin-turbo

The 525d (3.0-litre single turbo diesel) may be dropped for a 523d using BMW’s twin-turbo 2.0-litre diesel.

Petrol:

525i – 2.5-litre straight-six
530i – 3.0-litre straight-six
535i – 3.0-litre straight-six twin-turbo
550i – 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo
M5 – 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo

We’ll see the production version of the PAS at the Frankfurt motor show and the new 5-series within the next 12 months, followed by the Touring in 2010, and an M5 next year as well.

The new platform will also spawn replacements for the next 6-series coupe and cabriolet, though BMW has cancelled plans for other 6-series variants.
Attached Images