09-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
that's what confused me was the pricing since I saw a few different prices from what people paid. do you know what the going price is now including both MHD and Stage 1 pack or whatever just the basic stage is? I saw that I would need to buy the data cable from bimmercode I think?
With MHD you obviously use an android phone and any USB K+DCAN cable. I had mine left over from my E90 coding and INPA days.

With BM3 you can use a laptop or their wifi agent (which is a Raspberry Pi, and they've made the SD card image available for free) and then you can control it from android, ios, windows, mac, whatever. Some people have actually used the retrofit android entertainment option to show BM3 gauges and interface in the car all the time connected to the wifi agent. If I was doing stuff like that, no question I'd be BM3.

BM3 is faster to flash and switch maps. BM3 is probably the more advanced platform. BM3 was said to have slightly better/smoother OTS maps. BM3 can be sold, once, giving it some residual value. MHD can be way less if don't need datalogging and can confine yourself to one "stage" of OTS map. When I bought, MHD had more options to set like linear throttle mapping. Both have good reputations and active user communities. Both seem to have the same implementation options for burbles and whatnot.

I waffled for a while. You'll see my thread on it here. For what I purchased MHD was $440CAD and BM3 would have been $1056CAD out of pocket. I couldn't justify the difference in cost for my use case. I still wonder whether I might not like BM3 more, but that ship has sailed.
Appreciate 2