07-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #33
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro.M3 View Post
Surly, great write up and probably the most recent I've seen on the M5/650 sway bar upgrade. I have a Sport 2012 535i xDrive so the results should be similar, although I'm not sure if the Sport package (non-M Sport) has any upgraded suspension components.

I see that you recommend the upgrade, but is it really worth it? I feel like others who've done it have had outstanding reviews but your feedback has me question whether the improvement would be less-dramatic, than I had thought previously.

BTW - What tires are you running? And if running stock, do you think they could be contributing to the F10's less than optimal steering/suspension feel. The stock Goodyear LS2 RFT's I have on right now, I plan on changing first to Michelin A/S 3's before the sway bar upgrade.
I'm used to knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to options and what components that represents, but the dramatic expansion of BMW's line up, variables like X-Drive, and lack of solid information out there leaves me often confused by the F10. I believe that for years pre-LCI, if you got X-Drive then "sport" had no suspension differences. IN later years and LCI it seems that there *might* be a ride height different. Then there's the DHP variable - are the bars different on a DHP, non-ARS, pre-LCI X-Drive? Don't know. Might need to run through part numbers based on your VIN or go out and measure.

As for whether it's worth it --- For the Americans out there who can get full parts kits for <$500 with no tax and no shipping, that's a completely different story than other countries like mine (Canada) with poor exchange, taxes on import and high shipping costs. I was able to get a break so I went for it.

It is no doubt an improvement. It is probably the way the platform should have come, but it's not eye popping. The impressions of the reviewer may really depend on what they've had before. If the F10 is their first BMW - maybe it's a big change. If they came from a 226/704-equipped E90 or an M car, it's not quite there.

I'll continue to observe the changes as I go about my normal routine. I'm eager to figure out if I've actually picked up more understeer. When I was first looking at the package I figured that might happen since, if memory serves correct, when viewed as a PERCENTAGE instead of mm, the front bar is increasing in diameter more percentage points than the rear, which is going to increase understeer. I'll try to find the full list of figures again. I may look into obtaining an aftermarket rear bar in 17 or 18mm too and put my 16mm up for sale.

I'm running LS2s on 19" 351M square setup in the summer. I'm going to wear them out before looking at anything else I think. The summer packages on my past/other bimmers has been PS2 or PSS. Right now, it doesn't feel "worth it" to put PSSs on the F10, as much as I love them.

Last edited by Surly73; 07-07-2015 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0