10-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #12
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by br438 View Post
I can replace the buttons; I can replace the HVAC control or the Head unit.

I don't want a single control module that totals the car when it goes bad because of 1 cold solder joint or a bad set of capacitors.

It is cost savings; it is not safe (while we are still driving), and like the simplicity of the electric drivetrain... it is cost savings in manufacturing/parts that is costing the consumer exponentially in the long run. It's a bad deal.
It is no different than having blown tires that need to be replaced, brakes that need to be replaced.

The more mechanical things, the more points of failure in, just about any mechanical device. That is the golden rule of engineering. The more complex an item is, the more failure points. Yes, the head units also follow that principle, and they are getting more complex too.

If you meant unsafe as in a complete head unit failure is something to consider yes, but I replaced my radio in my E90 for an aftermarket one in a botched job (from an aftermarket place I went to), it didn't like it, my dash would suddenly reset and the dials would go to 0 (like mph) for a brief period, even while driving, had to get it removed. Freaked me out having that happen while driving. You could have failures like that well before the invention of the touch screen.

If you meant unsafe as in you have to touch the screen for climate controls and take your eyes off the road, I already do that, in my E90 manual climate buttons, as do probably 95% of people. How else are you supposed to see what your changing the temperature to? Buttons give tactile feedback, but they don't substitute not needing to look at the climate controls to change, unless you are REALLY good at knowing where your temp is and what amount of clicks/rotations of a button/dial will get you to what you want.
Appreciate 0