View Single Post
      04-06-2018, 04:39 PM   #1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10

520d Breakdown on M6

So on the way back from Scotland on Monday, car warns low engine oil. Buy 4 litre bottle from Costco and I top up 2 litres up to max and drive. Another 60 miles, the warning comes up again and I top up another 1.5 litres. It is snowing heavily and really windy, I spill about half a litre in the engine bay.

100 miles further the low warning light comes up again. I stop at services and decide cannot carry on like this. Call the breakdown services and they tell me they can't tow all the way given that it is bank holiday and they're busy. They arrange a hire car for me to carry on home.

Having read on forums, it looks like it could be the Turbo but then I did not feel any loss of power or blue smoke from the back. Anyway, I am still waiting for the recovery of the car, it is Fri today and the car is still not delivered to me.

I will post an update once I get the car and find out what is wrong as it is just not normal for the car to go through that much engine oil. Car is a Mar 2011 520d - any ideas to throw in the mix?
Appreciate 0