ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawntx View Post
I have a 2011 550i RWD

Power Steering fluid has been leaking quite a bit out of the cap. I bought a new genuine BMW cap and replaced the old one. I still have the same problem. No matter if I tighten to spec or even tighten it more than spec.

It doesn't seem to leak much if at all unless I drive it and get the engine hot.

When it's cold it's right at the 20C temp line.

When I start the engine cold with the cap off, I immediately see foam and bubbles without touching the steering wheel or anything. Is that normal?

This is total speculation, but it appears too much pressure is building up in the system forcing fluid to seep out of the cap where it seals. Why does it bubble and foam from a cold start with cap off and no steering movement. There are no cracks at all in the reservoir around the cap, and no leaks under the car or drips on ground where I always park it. I am wiping fluid a lot from the cap area.

Are you absolutely sure it's power steering fluid? IIRC, only the X-Drive's have mechanical power steering. The RWD's have electric power steering with no hydraulic fluid reservoir.
Appreciate 0