03-26-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpfarrell
I'm so happy to hear from folks that appreciatie why it needs to be a stick! I completely understand they aren't the best for everybody, but I'm not spending everybody's money, I want to spend mine!

I'll probably be ready to buy in late May, early June... lots of balls in mid-air right now and I just can't responsibily throw anything else into the sky until a land a few of the others. I don't expect to find it within 100 miles of Pittsburgh, but I anticpate the drive home from anywhere should be fantastic... even if it takes a few days.

So, I am trying to "know everything" so when I'm ready to buy, should the right car appear I'm not stopping to research it while somebody else drives away with it! Btw, I won't need the car... so I can wait for the right unicorn.

So, riddle me this... would you take a 535i sport package over a 550i without sport? Is it safe to say M-sport is mostly awesome cosmetics? I mostly like those, but the cosmetic stuff is pretty negotiable in my mind. The sport/comfort switch seems hard to duplicate.

That being said, my Lincoln MKS doesn't have a sport/comfort switch but it feels pretty tight since I've added H&R springs to it, so I'm comfortable making things my way if there's a way to do that. Maybe a 550i non-sport (if that's the unicorn I find) could be tweaked a bit and I'd have my engine and suspension too?

Thanks for the insights!
I have both a 2011 535i 6 speed manual and a 2013 Z4 sdrive35i 6 speed manual. The 535i is a great manual if you are looking for a good balance of fuel economy and performance. It works well for me, but I do think it would be even better if it had a more responsive throttle and more low end torque. I have looked at a Dinan tune, but if I want performance, I turn to the Z4. If I had to part with both of my current vehicles and have just one, I would go with the 550i. The 535i sport package won't replace torque, but do check into reliability on the 550i V8 though.

Unfortunately, neither of the manuals I have with the six cylinder engines are sold new in the US anymore. That is why I display a single magnetic "Save the Manuals" sticker on both!

Speaking of V8 sedans and 6 speed manuals, the Road and Track comparison of the 2003 BMW M5 and the 2015 Chevy SS is a good read: http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-chevrolet-ss/
Appreciate 0