View Single Post
      02-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #24
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Looks like the frame rails are straight and this will be a straight-forward replacement of front-end parts. Shouldn't take too long and not cost too much! Other than a salvage title (maybe try for a rebuilt title?) you'll have a pretty nice car!
There was some light pulling involved from the front end, just the left frame rail. Did not travel much past that point.
The title comes salvage I applied for a rebuilt title otherwise it can't be registered.

Fun fact: if the salvage title is ever assigned to a non licensed re builder, the car then can never be registered for street use. For parts only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
Thanks for sharing your build - following with interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ickdeep View Post
Best of luck! Definitely following
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBimmer83 View Post
Thanks for the update! Following!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Nice update on the build. Keep in mind that its been noted from previous members who upgraded to the M5 replica front bumper that the aftermarket splitters have been known not to fit. Suggesting that because the OEM M5 front bumper is actually wider along with the wider OEM M5 fenders. So I'm guessing the replicas M5 bumpers are smaller.

It's been talked about numerous times and there's actually threads and threads regarding M5 conversions and people give their opinions on this matter. Alot of it is negative but you'll have to read it yourself. I believe your money your car so do what makes you happy

Good to know!
I just did a search and yup seems there are 2 options for aftermarket replica M5 bumpers. One of them is from m.o.d.b.a.r.g.a.i.n.s ($500ish). that is the bumper I have. Except I bought mine from eBay. The other option is the real deal M5 retrofit kit at $3500+

It does have to make financial sense for me it's a 5 year old car. I paid $150 for the M5 replica bumper. So even if the other options look 50% better. it does not justify the cost to me. So far it's a direct fit without any modifications required on this M sport car.

Todays update:

Luckily I am allowed to walk around the shop while the car is being worked on....

Bumper, doors and side panels have been painted. I get a closer look in the gravity chamber and the bumper looks black.

This is funny to me because my car is gray and no other cars in the shop are

A: bmw's
b: being retrofired with M5 replica bumpers.
C: black color

Hilarity ensues when I inquire where the color info was obtained from:

Showing me the front radiator support sticker it reads.....

Close enough, except this car was involved in a front end crash and that front support was sourced from a F10 M5 donor from a junk yard.

The correct car's color per build sheet is:

Well it wasn't a huge deal shop agreed Frozen black metallic and Dark graphite metallic are pretty different colors. So they started re sanding the doors side panels and bumper for re painting tomorrow with Dark graphite metallic.

It sucks for the shop as paint is not cheap.

As to whether it's my fault for not removing the sticker from the front of the car when I installed the donor part as it was hinted or someone elses for not getting the color code form the car vin to begin with. I do not know.

on other news...

looks like I might have finally bought the right part for the headlight module.
(so much for knowing how to read realoem)

The problem is bmw changed the parts half way trough assembly line and the bmw part is not written on the light module. it only has the LEAR part #. Non LCI part is 50 bucks, the LCI part above is 450 bucks and there where none available on ebay or junk yard parts.

Per newtis part can be used on left or right side but coding is different( but of course bmw!). So that might be a coding job for later. led's in headlight still do not come on. battery has to be disconnected for 15 min. was not able to do this today.

Temporary brackets for Fogs until i can get an idea on beam pattern.

These look so cool in person

Hood preparation

Going in for second paint job

Inspection with Illinois state police is booked for next Thursday.
They just look for stolen parts. Hood, side fenders, and bumper need a paper trail of invoices along with vin # of donor car.

It appears each oem part is engraved in some way to link it to the donors vin# In a sense aftermarket parts are less troublesome since there is no vin number to match them to.

No other parts are checked not even the head lights.....curious why they would not track a 1,500 dollar part that is more easily stolen.

Last edited by rkstar9; 02-06-2019 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 1