View Single Post
      06-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
All of it is infuckingsane. I sit well left of most of you here so no paranoid mad man act on my behalf but all this shit is nothing more than a a bunch of bugs in your damn house. Google announcing NEST had a microphone no one knew about about should tell you all you need to know.
BINGO!

I find it laughable when security mentioned in the same sentence as Alexa, NEST, etc. I try to avoid these things like the plague. And one thing people don't associate with why these things are so dangerous. Having a constant communication to some external cloud system is a vulnerability in of itself. Putting aside Amazon, Google, etc being able to collect data off of your systems, it's also another avenue for hackers to run amok on your network.

There's a reason why pretty much all US Federal Agencies prohibit devices from reporting back to the manufacturer and if the feature is baked into the device, that it can be disabled and proven to be disabled by testing/monitoring of said device.
Appreciate 1