Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
For cloud devices which I think are where everything is headed you need to use a strong password and maybe 2factor authentication. This will help prevent anyone accessing your account.
The flaw in this (beyond privacy) is you lose functionality when you lose communication with the cloud.
Yes but it seems that's where everything is headed. I do have an older d link camera that records to a local dvr. If the internet goes down it will still work but not my nest doorbell. There is a doorbell made by a company called la view that can also record to a local dvr so it shouldn't need an internet connection. My garage cam has an sd card slot so that should work as well if I use it but cloud storage means the footage isn't lost if the as card or dvr is stolen.
A doorbell is one thing, but I wouldn't want the proper operation of my critical systems (lighting, HVAC, security components) to be reliant on a solid Internet connection. That's a recipe for disaster.

As for direction, I guess I have a different perspective. Loxone is the most-advanced system available and it doesn't rely on the Internet for anything other than off-site app control. We only even need a LAN for in-home app control. In other words- your entire LAN can go down and a Loxone Real Smart Home can still fully function. That is completely unique. The side benefit is you don't need to invest in better network components like you would with a system relying on the LAN for communication.