View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 04:13 PM   #7
HizEternal
Rep
Drives: Jet Black F10 535XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Dan View Post
HizEternal, I respectfully disagree. If the outer shaft separated from the hub/wheel assembly while driving, you would have a free rotating shaft spinning and hitting anything in the way - including steering and suspension components. It may be drivable. However, I would not want to be behind the wheel when this happens, or on the road near anyone stupid enough to risk the lives of those around them when they have a known major mechanical issue with their car. Personally, I think people with your mindset are responsible for unnecessary accidents.

Yes, you could disconnect the axel. But this is a half a$$ed way of driving. If you are going through that trouble, just replace the part and make it right. Have some respect for yourself and others on the road.
It’s obvious you have no such experience on an xdrive F10 with what you are speaking of. The axle will remain intact and will not fall out or hit anything. It just won’t be able to take power and spin the wheel. The size of the axle prevents it from doing exactly what you fear, the bearings are what fail and become not round which creates the clicking.

There is a subtle and I do mean subtle as in the strut itself and hub are what makes the difference between the xdrive and non xdrive models, in addition to the obvious front diff and transfer case components. The suspension is fully capable of keeping the front intact, it does so on non. Xdrive models.

I had my own axle break and not know it while on my way to replace it. You can make judgments as much as you want but at least use actual experience on the car we speak of, as well as the research available to all of us to make them.

Once again short distance trips as slow speeds are possible safely.
Appreciate 0