06-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spielnicht View Post
It's not drone. The Dinan has zero drone for the most part (which is why I went with it). The noise I'm speaking of only comes in Sport mode when you're WOT and release your foot off of the pedal at once. If you release the pedal slowly after WOT, you can avoid the noise.
Sounds more like you're hearing the wastegate/blow off, which has nothing to do with what muffler you've fitted.

Personally, I don't think there's anything to a scavenging/resonance/pressure wave timing concern with a turbocharged engine. The turbines in the exhaust path are pretty much the biggest factor, and they smooth out pulses and sound. To maximize the energy harvested by the turbocharger you want the greatest thermodynamic gradient across the exhaust turbine, part of which is greatest pressure differential across the turbine.

Second, these aren't normally aspirated Hondas with VTEC, <2.0L displacement, 8k redlines and 2" exhausts. An N55 starts with ~300hp/300tq and gets substantial gains from a flash tune and no other changes. That means that the intake, exhaust, air filter, downpipe, cats, LPFP, HPFP, injectors and all that other stuff that people rush to upgrade were never limiting factors in the first place for stock equipment - software was.

I put my MPE on for the sound and character, to remind me of past driving experiences and give the car a little bit of soul/character. I could not care less about "power gains" - and I neither expect nor observe any.

I am interested in claims that the Dinan is drone-free. Drone is something that bothers me about the MPE, but I see equal numbers of owners claiming the MPE drones less than the Dinan on an N55. I would have to meet up with a Dinan owner on an N55 to assess for myself.
Appreciate 1
jjwwuu2.00