View Single Post
      06-29-2020, 06:42 AM   #2
550iFreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT

It’s excessive.

According to the bulletin, I believe usage of oil is permissible up to 750mi/qt. Even though you fall under the permissible amount, it is quite excessive and there is a continued lawsuit in effect pertaining to the n63 oil consumption issues.

Now, does your car smoke under idle or heavy acceleration? Any leaks you could find or smell in the engine bay?

It is normal for all cars to burn or use oil, it’s inevitable to NOT use oil during its life before it gets changed out at a predetermined mileage or date. These n63 engines runs very hot and those turbos loves to use oil to keep them working. Mind you there are two of them haha.

I managed to get my 550i to not burn enough oil to register on the gauge after 6k miles which is where I perform my oil changes. I did the valve seal major repair at 100k miles in response to the oil consumption of 1k/qt.

Now at 126k miles with upgraded Alpina turbos and running jb4 for the longest, also did the 90degree thermostat right after purchase of the car at 76k miles.

Everyone has a various oil consumption report from nothing to about 2K/qt which I believe is normal. Anything below would be worthy of investigation.

Be happy that it still runs some doesn’t consume since they seize up lol.
Appreciate 0