09-13-2019, 10:52 PM   #3
Razor1973
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
What's the amp rating on the charger? A basic 1.5a charger will take many moons to get the battery charged. The BMW branded charger is 4a.
It's 3.5 Amps. Here's the official site.

So I remembered I had used my Gooloo GP37-plus jump-starter in the past on that Accord that I mentioned, so I tried the same thing with the BMW. That did it, except with a twist my neighbors didn't appreciate.

I plugged in the Gooloo. The Connect green light would just blink and beep, which, according to the manual, meant the battery was too low and the recommendation was to press the Boost button on the device. Before doing that, I tried to start the car. It did nothing at all; dead. I then went back to the Gooloo and pressed that Boost button. That's when all hell broke loose and the car alarm started going off. I had to apologize to my neighbors while I searched for a solution online.

In the meantime, I removed the Gooloo and plugged in the NOCO charger again, which this time detected a minimal charge in the battery and finally gave me some more lights and started to charge. I left it charging (and the alarm going off) for about an hour, after which, I removed the charger, plugged the Gooloo back in and was able to start the car. That stopped the alarm.

I let the car idle for about 2 minutes, turned it off, removed the Gooloo, plugged the NOCO back in and now, it's charging. It's still under 25%, but it seems to be going well. I plan on leaving it overnight and checking again in the morning.