View Single Post
      01-09-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3

Water leak into rear passenger footwell

Hi all

As a result of the bad weather recently, my car ended up with a rather large puddle in the rear footwell.

Having googled this issue,I found a rather useful if disturbing long thread on another BMW 5 series forum pointing towards a perished steering column cover/grommet which covers the lhd hole on rhd cars.

I called my local BMW garage and initial reaction was not positive as I was immediately advised that water seals were covered by the AUC warranty. I highlighted the apparent well known issue and was told that he had never witnessed this problem. In their experience they thought it was the door leaking. I then had to reluctantly agree that if the issue was a water seal then I would have to cover the costs. Not great for a low mileage car that I purchased as an AUC.

So after investigation, it seems that my car is leaking from the bulkhead and from a perished grommet. I couldn't speak to the advisor but his colleague gave me an update which confused me as he said that BMW had paid for 80% of the labour, but the car hadn't been repaired yet and that I had to pay 20% to benefit for 2 years warranty on the repair. Does this sound right in people's experience?Just sounds odd to me, so looking at a bill of c£250. Of course it could have been a lot worse but I don't feel like I should be grateful to have to pay this amount.

Have people experienced the grommet issue?

And thoughts on the apparent goodwill contribution from BMW? Not sure the explanation I was given was great, felt like I was being mugged off......

Not sure whether I am permitted to link to another forum but if I can happy to post up a link to thread.

Thanks
Appreciate 0