View Single Post
      09-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
aroncole
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i xDrive

2011 535i xDrive: Coating damage on newly replaced brake rotors

Friends,

I got the brake rotors and pads replaced on all four wheels last Friday. Went for two-piece Brembo rotors + Akebono ceramic pads with the expectation that they would last several years, given my original ones lasted eight years. Since I got this done in Boston, I traveled about 500 miles back to home in Canada.

While driving, I felt like there was some noise - not too loud but enough to make me visually inspect the rotors upon reaching home. I found that the coating on the front right rotor looked visibly different (discolored/scratched/damaged) along the edges from the rest of the rotor. I checked the other rotors and found varying levels of discoloration/scratches/damage along the edges.

It doesn't seem normal given the variance in discoloration on the rotors. However, is it something that I need to worry about? Does this indicate any mistakes in replacement by the indie shop that did the job? Most importantly, would it ultimately lead to untimely replacement of these new rotors?

Please see the images below to review the different levels of damage on the individual rotors.

Front Right Rotor

As can be seen, the edge of the disc seems to have a pronounced discoloration (about half an inch) when compared to the rest of the disc.

Front Left Rotor

This one has a smaller discolored area along the edge, but still significant.

Rear Right Rotor

This rotor does not seem to have any visible discoloration.

Rear Left Rotor

This one has a tiny but very pronounced discoloration right at the edge.

Since the shop that did the work is in Boston, I can't immediately go back and check with them (this is not to mention the cost of the journey again). I know that I should just have used a local shop. Idiotic decision to get this done while traveling. Hopefully, it will not end up costing me too much!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0