01-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #36
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTruth View Post
Lemon procedure might be harder for a used CPO car though....
Lemon law doesnt apply to used cars...

OP, it sounds like your car problem is intermittent, from the sounds of it I'm leaning towards low pressure fuel pump, plugs, coils, or injectors. One or more of those is on it's way out but not out of tolerance enough to cause a consistent misfire. If it's a fuel delivery problem, then there is a high possibilty no codes are going to be stored and this makes it harder to diagnose for the dealer. When my fuel pump went, it took awhile before it could be properly diagnosed because it wasnt throwing codes at first. Remember the dealer isn't going to get everything right the first time all the time. Engines are a piece of work and although computers in our cars can monitor almost everything, there's still a margin for error. I'm not sure if you've ever seen dealership service test plan and the software, but they all say to try one thing at a time. If replacing the first item doesn't permanently fix the issue then they try the next thing on the list. If the code your car is throwing's Test plan doesn't say to replace the low pressure fuel pump, they can't change the LPFP because BMWNA won't approve the repair (accountability aspect). There is a possibility that you had multiple things "bad" intermittently and the parts are on the brink of complete failure, but bmw can't replace them until they fail and the test plan calls for it.

Also, dealers aren't necessarily pro-BMWNA per se as suggested earlier. Most Local BMW dealers are franchised just like any other major chain business and these dealers make a fair share of money off of BMWNA from warranty repairs by performing the labor. If BMWNA approves a major warranty repair or covers 100% of a Goodwill Repair, they pay the dealer you take your car to for the labor. It also sounds like some people have sour relationships with their dealerships. Luckily, majority of the dealers here have Service Advisors and Technicians that are active in local car groups, so they are enthusiasts too. They still have the brands interest first, but they also have that sense of understanding. You never want to cause distentions with your dealership because with this engine, you'll need them to go to bat for you when you request goodwill repairs from BMWNA. BMW is really good at customer service, I too had my N63 motor replaced out of warranty, so they understand these engines are problematic.

Last edited by SLVSRFR; 01-24-2018 at 09:59 PM..
Appreciate 0