12-20-2021, 11:48 PM   #2993
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
First thing is first, trying to bulk while still not being consistent with form and breathing is asking for an injury to occur. Light weight is where these two things are developed. It's hard to concentrate on form and breathing if you can barely handle the weight you are attempting to move. I'd recommend changing gears to more of a cutting or maintenance phase where reps are more high until form and breathing have been ironed out.

It is also a common misunderstanding that lifting heavy weights equates to bulking. Bulking is more of a mind set and having more calories in then out. As long as that is happening you will still "bulk". You can still bulk with high reps as long as mind to muscle connection is present. The mind to muscle connection that I am referring to will not fully be apparent until breathing and form consistencies have been remediated. It is essentially having full control over the muscle group throughout the range of motion and ensuring that you are working all necessary parts (this is where form is huge).

In reference to counting, I've never been big on counting reps. I believe Arnold said "I only start counting when it starts hurting". That is essentially how I lift. Having set rep ranges often leads to laziness to an extent as you are working towards a number. True mental fortitude comes from being able to last past the difficult points.

I can go on and on, but short read would be - lower the weights, increase reps, focus on the squeeze, and move slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heitzke View Post
Developing mental and physical cues also takes time. Regardless of the weight on my back, my squat will look the same every single time. I think that's the slowest ramp up for new lifters, especially in powerlifting - is learning the details of your body.

The big compound lifts are inherently really complex but look easy. As long as you're not pushing/ramping up the weights too quickly into form breaking down, you're in a good spot.

Like JP10 said too, if i'm doing more of a bodybuilding type training block i'll train more according to how I feel. Could be 5 sets of 10, could be 10x10, or 4x8's. Most powerlifting programs though are very intentionally regimented and i'll follow them more closely.

Yeah, I should clarify it's a bulking routine, but he is at light weight. I tailored a JEFit beginners bulking routine to fit what we have for equipment. So yes, it's for bulking, but he is still working with less weight and most are 3x10 vs the 3x6 that comes in the JEFit plan.

What he has been doing, is if he can complete all three sets of 10 without much of a struggle on the least set, he starts at that same weight the next time for the first set, then bumps up 5 or 10lbs depending on the exercise for the 2cnd or 3rd set. Once he gets completes all 3 sets at the same weight he then starts the bump up process again. Anytime I see him consistently struggle each set with form I move him back down in weight until he shows that he can maintain proper form.

I'll start keeping him to less weight for longer. I also think I might have him record himself so he can go back and watch some of the things he does to start losing form. I try to explain those things, but I don't think he can visualize it very well because he gives me blank stares.

I do think some of it is mental too, sometimes he gets so amped up because a set felt good that his next set he goes into it too fast and I have to tell him to slow down and focus, it's not a race, theres no girls here to try and impress.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 0