11-15-2023, 11:37 AM   #59
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
In late 2014 I was on the search to add a sports coupe to the fleet. The quest started with the then new C7 LT1, but I couldn't reach deep enough to consider driving a V8 occasionally on my 165-mile daily commute. So, I turned to the 1st gen Cayman as the next choice with the thought to try something different than a BMW. I found a CPO 2008 Base Cayman optioned with the S wheels. Test drove it the Saturday after Thanksgiving in 2014. I wasn't all that impressed with it. I drove it on the best curvy roads you can find near Tysons Corner, Virginia (there are a few). The steering didn't give me hand orgasms and as I was expecting. Perhaps the mid-engine chassis, I guess, was just so completely neutral to the point it was boring(?). And WTF, you can't see the engine? In a Porsche? I found that really funny. The following week I planned to go back to buy it regardless, but after doing my homework and not being satisfied with the answers to the IMS bearing issue, I was getting cold feet. I drove it again and decided I didn't fit the interior very well. Being broad shouldered is not a design consideration Porsche gave the Cayman. And being CPO didn't mean much as far as purchase security went. The car I was considering turned out to be a service loaner from a dealership in Wilmington, South Carolina.

On the drive home from the dealership it dawned on me that BMW had dropped the E86 Z4 Coupe on the world (a year after I bought my E90). I recalled the Bimmer magazine review of it at the time. The E86 never sold well for some reason, but like your car and the 2nd gen Cayman, the E86 weighed a bit more but had about 20HP more power than the 1st gen Cayman. By mid-December 2014 I had bought my low mileage black 2008 E86 3.0si Coupe. They will have to bury me in it, as it will be my last possession when I leave this earth. A way better car than it's Cayman counterpart. IMO.
The E86 is an underrated sportscar and I was wanting to get that but they went 2nd gen on me and I prefer to buy new, so bad timing for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I am all for the whole "too much power is pointless" argument, one of the reasons i don't really lust for a Turbo 911 or anything else that makes huge numbers. I don't think a Cayman though, tips over that edge, what it does offer is a bit of a kick in the pants the Miata just cannot deliver.
Ya, can't go wrong w either car.
Appreciate 0