View Single Post
      06-09-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Kingkajee
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d M Sport

and its all complete...

So, after a long 4 hours, I'm glad to report back that I've successfully completed the retrofit of the reverse camera.

I used the youtube vid from Bimmertech as a guide but of course, mine is a right hand drive.
I'm not going to go into the detail as the video explains it better than I can.

I started by disconnecting the battery, taking the nav unit out (went from front of the car to the back), connected the navigation plugs (all seemed pretty simple), ran the camera wire under the carpet (passenger footwell) down the passenger side, then followed it all the way to the rear passenger side.
Hit a bit of an obstacle here. Had to remove the rear seats (not too difficult, just struggled around the seatbelt fasteners).
managed to find a gap to feed into the boot. Hid behind carpeting in the boot and followed the steps in the vid. Put everything back together, connected the battery.

The above probably took 3 hours as I was being extremely careful and babysitting my 18 month old.

When I started the car, all seemed well except the clock seemed incorrect. My bluetooth and USB port didnt work either.
Got onto the seller (Douglas) on ebay to see if I missed anything. helpful guy responded with 5 mins and told me exactly what I had to do.
Turns out I didnt take the optical cable out of the original (main) stereo plug and attach this to the new plug (2 green wires on a clip)

Back in the car I went, disconnected the battery. This time, took all but 5 mins to get the nav unit out, fixed the optical cable, put it all together again. Went to connect the battery and.... oh sh!t! I only went and closed the boot. The car has no power and there was no way to open the boot as the opening is an electric button!.
Had to get some jumpleads and another car to get enough power (from under the bonnet) to open the boot.

Finally, having connected the battery, I tested the Bluetooth, usb..... all working perfectly!

let me know if anyone has any questions

I'll post some random pics in a bit
Appreciate 1
OneExtra810.50