View Single Post
      10-23-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
95blkmax
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 535 M-Sport

Congrats! Excellent idea on WP/ Tstat and CP replacements at this point.

Before you start modding make sure your maintenance is up to date. You mentioned that all was up to date, so I would assume you confirmed no leaks at the oil filter housing, oil pan, and valve cover. You'll want a fresh set of spark plugs and Eldor coils.

I don't know how restrictive WA state emissions testing are (if there's any). But to get close to that 100HP gain you'll need a catless downpipe (honestly on a stock turbo especially- a high-flow catted downpipe would be more than enough, but they are much more $$ than a catless), an upgraded intercooler (the stock one is crap and will heatsoak off a single pull), and a stage 2 tune (you have several options- JB4 piggyback, and BM3 /MHD flash tunes).

People here swear one tuning method over another and you'd think they were talking about their child lol. On stock turbo, it really is your personal choice and what you're comfortable with. I had a JB4 at first and it worked great, very consistent, user friendly and easy to install. But I wanted access to other things that only the flash tunes can, like exhaust burbles control, start-up roar, variable cooling system target temps. You do pay for those additional features though. You can snag a used JB4 for $275-$350 with bluetooth on the classifieds here. My MHD full suite came up to about $600 (don't remember exact, give or take $50). But with MHD you also don't have to go full suite. You can start with the OBD dongle ($70ish) and the Maps. Then you can add monitoring if you wish (I highly recommend). I have never used BM3 but from what I've seen on YT the user interface is MUCH nicer on MHD if you care for that.

Something else I'd recommend doing is transmission fluid replacement. You are at the ZF recommended range to replace that fluid. Some folks say never change it, but I am well aware that "lifetime fluid" is a marketing gimmick as there is no such thing as a lubricant that does not degrade with time and heat cycles. ZF recommends fluid changes- despite what auto manufacturers say. So listen to who actually built the trans, and change that fluid lol. Same goes for the differential! About 1 liter of fluid, a hand pump, and a new plug (only 1 plug on the diff, hence why you need the pump to suck out the old fluid) as the plug has an integrated seal on it that is 1-time use.