View Single Post
      04-29-2010, 06:09 AM   #76
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
...I am considering the M sport suspension, but am concerned with the remarks from certain reviews, and taking from AutoExpress testing a standard suspension F10, "On bumpy UK roads and fitted with larger, optional, 18-inch wheels, the suspension fidgets over rough surfaces more than cars boasting the variable damper technology, but the ride is still accomplished. It is smoother than the Audi and, while the air-sprung E-Class is well cushioned on the motorway, the trade-off in terms of body control makes the BMW the best compromise of the trio", "Aside from some judder through the firm walls of the BMW’s run-flat tyres, the 5-Series’ ride is impressively comfortable, too" and "Without its additional Adaptive Drive goodies, the 5-Series lacks that sparkling balance between ride and handling. However, it still manages to set the dynamic benchmark in this competitive sector."

The M sport suspension likely will enhance the judders (?)
This is the unknown, until we get a chance to try M-sport suspensions (or get other's feedback) and with a combination of wheel sizes.

I also picked up Auto Express comments, and it doesn't help my case, as I've experienced the feelings as well.

I know we will have to accept a set of compromises, whatever we choose, but I'm after the 'best set of compromises' for my driving.

Car Enthusiast wrote:

Quote:
Not once during those two days did the Five ever get uncomfortable. Our car sat on standard springs with a standard steering rack, which has switched from hydraulic to electric assistance for economy's sake. It shows. The steering is direct but lacks positive feedback, and combined with the woollen ride it's fair to say the Five has gone a little soft. That said, the options list contains adaptive damping, which can firm things up a good whack,....
Quote:
The standard steering and suspension setup will suit most just fine, but it's a shame that those who do want a bit more driver engagement will have to fork out a premium for the drive-enhancing adaptive chassis and steering.
I'm not after the standard setup "will suit most just fine", I'm wanting a bit more for my money.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0