08-06-2022, 11:09 AM   #30
Encendido3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfeebullet View Post
So my belt snapped 2 days ago, I did have to drive for a little to get it home, temperature gauge stayed stable, battery was draining fast and multiple systems shut down. I noticed when I got in my driveway I was unable to drive up my driveway (engine just reved) I'm guessing because it had shut down much of the car at this point….
Found this forum about the belt in the engine and was curious if anyone tried simply draining the oil and filtering it to look for rubber before taking the oil pan off?
The I liked around the crank shaft and didn't see much of any of the belt around it so was going to pull the crank pulley off and inspect the seal to see if it was compromised and filter the oil and depending on the results look at removing the oil pan.
I have a 2011 535i GT xdrive and have searched the forums and found the belt getting sucked in happens but is less common with the n55 engine I believe I have over the n54.
Guess I'm looking for some advice regarding the oil draining with a filter and if my plan to check the seal is a good first step before lifting the engine to get the pan out.
Thanks for the help
Welcome! Sucks that happened to you. You definitely can try visually inspecting the crank seal, you may have gotten lucky. If the seal isn't 100%, I wouldn't risk it and I would drop the pan. The biggest problem you could face is if parts of the belt did get sucked in it could have made its way into the pan and will clog the oil pickup tube, starving the engine of oil. When I did mine, no parts of the belt came out when I drained the oil but when I took the pan off it looked like half the damn belt was in there.
Appreciate 0