View Single Post
      11-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #8
Teddylongtooth
ZEROdoubleZERO
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i m sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzz View Post
My aftermarket front lip has a crack after scraping it and hitting different unintended obstacles found on the DC roads. It is still mounted solid, it just has an ugly crack. I was thinking to fill the crack with epoxy or resin, polish it and wrap it with something like 3M carbon wrap https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0058DIDTY

has anyone done something like this? is there a better way to do it ?
Hey bro, I wanted to chime and let you know that yes you can fill the crack with epoxy resin made for carbon fiber. You will need to remove the lip and secure it to something so its stays flat while you fill the crack with epoxy and then sand and polish it. You need to use many different grits of sand paper probably starting off with 400grit and moving up to 3000grit, tape off the area around the crack so your not creating more scratches than you need too. Sand with light pressure and constantly check your sanding so you don't sand off too much. once you get the crack sanded and smoothed out you can use a 3m headight lens restoration kit to polish it up. There a few YouTube videos on carbon fiber crack repair to help you get a better understanding of how this is done. Ive done it many times and it's worth trying before buying a new lip.

Good luck
Appreciate 0