View Single Post
      02-26-2012, 09:22 PM   #173
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMan11389 View Post
Love the idea, but adding an M logo to the beginning of the model designation? Seems out of touch with the audience. It's something we've all made fun of people for doing for decades.
Who has been making fun of these people? Not anyone knowledgeable BMW enthusiast I hope! Especially a 5-series lover!

Lest we not forget the E21 5 series---the M535i. BMW's first true sports-sedan. http://www.bimmer-mag.com/issues/96/...rder-crossings

A few years later, the E28 M535i was quite a beast too! Not to mention the E34 M540i! Of course it was not only the 5 series that got M badges at the front of the model designation. There were the M325i's and and e23 M745i.

///M means it was modified by the BMW M GmbH. It is not an ///M car which was designed by the division, only modified by them. These are M equipped cars, not M cars. In the past few years we have simply called this having the M-Tech (M-Technik) package where you get the ///M symbol in other places like the shifter, door sills, steering wheel, etc. But not on the trunk. Previously, the badge has been on the trunk too.

This is just going back to the roots. (and of course, smart marketing. people pay more for that tri-coloured badge on the trunk.)
Appreciate 0