View Single Post
      01-26-2023, 07:04 PM   #22
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

david in germany brings up a good point about potential nutrient deficiency. Another reason dogs eat their poop is to cover their tracks (i.e. hiding or removing evidence of their poop) but I think that tends to be more the case w/ puppies/dogs that aren't house broken yet.

I wouldn't feed your dog based on stereotype food/treats from growing up. Bones are bad because some can break or fracture teeth as you say but smaller bones can also splinter and cut them (internally as well as externally). This goes for any hard 'treat' (e.g. antlers, some Himalayan chews, etc...). There's no guarantee it will happen but it's up to you if you want to roll that dice.

If you've not had a dog before, there are many books and websites about how to care for and feed them. As with people diets, there are many philosophies and fads on canine diets (e.g. dry food, wet food, raw, home cooked, grain free, etc...) so do your research and decide what you think is best for your dog.

Unlike their wolf ancestors (well....maybe not for Chihauhaus....) and excluding Huskies, dogs developed facial muscles over time that allowed them to make the infamous puppy eyes. Dogs are also smart.....they learn how to manipulate you to bend you to their fuzzy wills. Stay strong. lol