Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Inline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
I have hydraulic steering on my F10 - it doesn't fix the "problem".

I've done bars so far, and that makes a very significant improvement. There's still not a lot of good, useful feedback. The steering ratio is too slow, and there's not enough perception of the road coming back. I do feel stuff in the wheel, but it's usually just a jarring sensation of the RFTs crashing around and not something that really communicates anything going on at the rubber/road interface. I'm planning to go with non-RFT for summer, at least, and that may improve things.

Now, "feel" doesn't affect "lap time" or how aggressively you can turn. But "feel" is definitely part of an engaging driving experience, and a prior hallmark of the BMW brand.
I was saying that the steering response is inhibited by the soft suspension (which is really dulling steering response and feedback) rather then the rack itself. with coilovers, the steering would feel great and genuinely have feel.

on top of that, I remember when I switched from the horrific goodyear runflats to pilot super sports with low profile rubber, steering response improved. now all that is really needed is coilovers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
When you say bars do you mean strut tower?

I've done sway rear and front and the rear helped. The front did not maybe a bigger front sway than the M5 would have been better. Like the sway in the comp pack M5.

Lowering the car and adding Koni dramatically changes the handling for the better.

Steering is def slow in responsiveness. Changing to non RFT helps with ride quality, but not turn in. I feeI I may have slowed the turn in by going from 245 to 255 in the front. Wondering if a set of 235's summer tires in the front would fix the slow maneuvering. Also curious if ditching the electronic steering for the hydraulic rack from the xdrive would help with overall feel.
he meant sway bars i believe, not the strut brace.

bilstein is a far better option for this vehicle, or any vehicle for that matter then koni.

the front negative camber for these vehicles are relatively mild. if you dialed it up to roughly -1.5 front to match the rears, turn in and overall front axle grip would improve drastically.

changing the steering rack would not do anything unless you have sporty suspension. the steering rack might feel slow witted, but it is actually a very sensitive rack. the problem is the soft suspension which is really dulling response and making it "feel" slow.

changing from run flats to low profile performance tires absolutely makes a difference. more then you would actually expect with overall turn in, response, body roll, etc.

It all depends on what tire width you are putting on what width rim. for example, 245 tires on an 8 inch rim is going to be a little bit too wide and may slightly dull response at low speed.

for a 255 tire, ideally you want a 9 inch rim.

before i forget to mention, BMW OEM rims are EXTREMELY heavy. replacing them with some lightweight 19 inch rims would make a big difference with turn in as long as you have the front camber appropriately tuned for aggressive cornering. with the current setup at roughly -0.5 front, -1.8 rear all this is going to do is induce understeer at the limit. balance it out and the front axle will grip much stronger.
I've heard blistens are very stiff. With my adjustables I can easily switch between settings and go street to track in minutes. I agree with the lighter rims and going down in diameter. I have 20 super heavy 6 series rims.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0