View Single Post
      05-27-2023, 12:02 PM   #7
Chick Webb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E92, '17 540i, '21 X6 M50i

I bought my MiL a manufactured home (it's really not mobile) and had it dropped onto a lot in a 55+ park several years back. The park is nice and they collectively own the land, so she doesn't pay rent but rather a percentage of the upkeep and taxes. The home itself is all wood construction and is indistinguishable from a stick-built home. It's not high-end construction, but we had it built with granite countertops, tile showers/backsplashes/etc. It's got high ceilings, stainless appliances, plenty of windows and an open-plan living area. 3br, 2ba with a big master and plenty of closet space. There's a nice deck on one side that we had built. The only thing that is different from a "real" home, really, is that it's base is a dozen or so steel beams and they're sitting on adjustable metal piers.

The downsides are costs, in the sense that it's not considered a home, but personal property. So the interest rate on the note was considerably higher (3%) than a mortgage at the time. And it's taxed as personal property so depending on where you live that could mean higher or lower taxes. But it'll last a good long time and the interior can be upgraded as any home is. Frankly, we may end up living there someday ourselves. After she's passed, of course, the reason I bought it in the first place is that my DW was having no part of her moving in with us.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4671.50