09-16-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting comments and some opposing experiences.

I wonder if some of the differences are the gearbox mode we are using?

I'm referring to being in 'D' normal/comfort mode. Where there is no down changing for any engine braking at lower speeds, rolling down to a junction. As previously stated the engine drops to around 1,000rpm and then smoothly down changes without any lurch, jerkiness or lunging, nothing like that at all.

Sport mode is a different animal, as we would all expect, as it must down change to keep up some revs. Therefore can lose some of the silky smoothness.

I've driven a good few examples of 5, 6, and 8-speed boxes and never had one gearbox that behaves any different coasting down to a junction in 'D'. I know other drivers have had the jerkiness and even the 'slam' issue in 'D', (particularly the 6-speed autobox), but that was/is a problem not the norm.

Descending slopes/hills and lifting off the gas will instigate a down change (or two), again that is normal. But is typically dependant on speed of pedal lift off. Same as a quick jab on the brakes will instigate down changes on a slope.

Interested to see if all the experiences are when using 'D' the normal/comfort modes.

HighlandPete
My experiences in "D" are exactly the same as yours. Agree with everything you wrote.
Appreciate 0