View Single Post
      02-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #19
jdmfrogg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZDozzit View Post
So with the 3M tape, you were able to address the gap issue without using screws and it's holding up pretty well? Thanks for sharing. Good to know.
Sorta...

I currently have 3m molding tape (from Autozone) placed only on the center section towards the front of the lip but not so far up that you can see the grey 3m tape. The issue my rep has is that the gap from the lip and bumper needs 2 layers of 3m tape stacked to make strong contact with the lip surface and bumper surface. After a month of monitoring it, I'm seeing that the doubled up take is starting to separate. The 3m molding tape and the adhesive is designed for a very specific surface energy - in this case glossy or very smooth surfaces like paint. Since I'm trying to stick 2 pieces of tape together, it eventually will fail. My next plan is to use a small shim (1inch x 6 inch long x 1/8inch thick plexiglass strip) to adhere the 3m molding tape to, then use that sandwiched between the lip + bumper... in theory this should work and solve the problem. If this does not work, I was going to buy 3m VHB... that will work FOR SURE... google it or check it out on Youtube.
Appreciate 0