View Single Post
      03-25-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
TJBentley
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 528xdrive

So in the morning I checked the battery at Autozone. They said the battery was 40% charged and couldn't charge it for me because they don't charge BMW batteries anymore being that they don't have a certain device that would save the memory that the battery stores. Drove more and a couple hours later checked at another autozone, battery was reading 85% charged and they also said the same thing about not being able to charge the battery (although I did see him enter 800cc instead of 850cc). After this i decided to go to the BMW indy mechanic, he basically said Autozone guys have no idea what they're talking about because the car would charge the battery on its own, and ran a diagnostic for me. I seen tons of codes come up which he said I can go to the dealership to get fixed such as the passenger restraint system and check engine light. He also said that it showed something was waking the system up when it's parked over night. I told him about my new audio system in the trunk and he said these cars are very sensitive electronically and come with tons of electronics that use the battery, and advised me if I wanted to keep the system I would have to install another battery or capacitor in the trunk. He then went on to say when I take it to BMW I don't have to uninstall anything in the trunk and just bring it in like that and not mention anything about a battery, just call BMW and tell them my passenger restraint malfunction light is on along with check engine light and have them find the problems on their own and fix them. Keep in mind, this mechanic used to work as a service tech at a BMW dealership for ten years before opening up his own place. what scares me is that some of the problems are directly related to the extra load on the electrical system, wouldn't BMW open my trunk when they decide to check out the battery and see the audio equipment?? therefore using that as an excuse not to cover anything? The airbag warning is probably just a coincidence but not related to the electrical stuff going on. Anybody with an audio system installed have a problem with BMW dealerships not fulfilling the warranty?? My car is a 2012 that just passed the 50k mark but I bought it as a CPO so it's got warranty until 100k miles.
Appreciate 0