#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
According to Wikipedia (not sure if it can be verified elsewhere):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formul...–present

Quote:
Adrian Newey stated during the 2011 European Grand Prix that the change to a V6 enables teams to carry the engine as a stressed member, whereas an inline 4 would have required a space frame.
Presumably this would also apply to an I6 as well.
I dont know if thats necessarily true.
There are multiple formula classes that use an I4 as engine and as stressed part of the frame, like Formula Renault.
You can strenghten the block any way you like to have it a stressed member of the frame.

I expect F1 to adapt 4cyl engines in the future (or maybe 3 cyl) once electrification becomes more a part of the cars. (I dont think thats an unstoppable trend)
I mean 25 years ago they had V12's and gradually the # of cylinders went down with the displacement. Why would that stop; they do this to limit power because of safety. There comes a point that the manufacturers can get 1000hp out of the current # of cylinders and displacement with this turbo pressure.

As long as F1 also has an agenda to adapt technology and trends that play a part of daily life cars, fuel consumption and efficiency are factors that play along. And an I4 is in the end more efficient than a V6 at these small displacements imho.

What I find a bit disappointing is that competing teams are not free to choose their engine configuration.
Why not set the rules so that you can have (or must have) a certain amount of displacement, a certain turbo pressure and you get a certain amount of fuel for a certain track/race and just figure it out. On the one side that may limit certain teams to compete because the diversity means maybe higher costs, but it will result in the most technological innovations.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t

Last edited by GuidoK; 11-10-2018 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0