View Single Post
      01-07-2020, 08:27 AM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffcharger View Post
In reading other threads, I realise that I don't know how to mechanically put my 2015 F10 xdrive into neutral in case it has lost power and needs a tow (onto a flatbed of course). I knew how to with my E60 (and in fact had to do it), but can't find definitive info on the F10.

I regularly use the electronic parking brake so this would be a problem too.

How can you ready the car for a tow if it has no power?
Oh it's super easy, just pop out your cup holder and there is a red emergency strap to pull....OH WAIT THATS RIGHT....Some WORTHLESS manager at BMW thought it would be better to save a buck on production dispite how expensive these cars are (and SUV, same for the X's) and leave you with no easy way to do it...

The procedure is: jack up your car, remove the transmission protection plate (if equipped) and turn the neutral override bolt on the driver side of the transmission until it engages the release lever.....even Chrysler gives you a way to do it from inside the cabin on vehicles that use the exact same transmission.....

You have to wonder sometimes with all the amazing engineering in our vehicles, you run into something like this every once in a while that defies logic and makes you think there are secret Mercedes agents working within BMW....

Here is a video on it:

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-07-2020 at 09:29 AM..
Appreciate 6