View Single Post
      01-13-2020, 11:10 AM   #10
walmark
Apprentice
Rep
Drives: 550i F10 '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Actually...I did get that point (about the engine not starting)...but was curious if pressing the gear shift UNLOCK button...would create the same "no start" scenario/situation.

And a secondary question running through my head was...if the battery is dead (car won't start)...could you possibly hook up a battery pack to the jump start terminals in the engine bay...and possibly attempt the same procedure (since the starter may turn enough to engage this procedure without starting the engine). Which ties into my question as to if holding in on that UNLOCK button prevents the engine from turning over and starting.

(hopefully you get were my thoughts were going...I'm wondering if there are alternate scenarios that may allow you to get the car into neutral without having to jack the car up to remove the panel and use the hex tool to manually unlock the tranny)
I doubt that holding the UNLOCK will prevent the engine from starting, but honestly I never tested it.

As for your dead battery scenario I think it would work in either case - if enough juice is provided then the engine will start. If not, the starter will turn but fail to start the engine and then you can put it in neutral. Assuming that there is enough power to actually run the electronics.
Appreciate 0