View Single Post
      06-16-2022, 03:32 AM   #91
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBimmeRad View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Although, I think, the poor sales of the M4 GTS left a sour note for BMW. They still had some unsold almost two years after first release.

I think, they might have taken that into account before releasing a baby version of the bigger brother. Truth be told, that prototype is more akin to the F82 GTS, IMHO, than the E46 CSL.

Like your good self, I'm glad they released the CS instead.
Mostly agree.

I think they made a mistake with the GTS suspension setup, pricing, and marketing. It got a reputation it probably didn’t deserve, ultimately. It also feels like the economic conditions have changed since the GTS came out and the crazy prices are more acceptable. You could argue that the GTS was even more hardcore than this CSL. Of course, it didn’t seem to be well sorted from the factory.

I think even for the CS cars, BMW needs to be going with more transparent mechanical changes and not just holding back software tweaks etc. The F80/82 CS had to be basically given away because there were almost zero big hardware changes and the perception was it is barely better than ZCP. Buyers of these cars are enthusiasts and want to know what they are getting for the sizeable cost increase. GM, for all their faults, does the best job of this. The ZL1 1LE and ZR1 get serious upgraded dampers and stuff you can see in the spec sheet. Not just lighter weight body panels.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4058.00