View Single Post
      03-19-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

6 speed vs. 6 speed

Ahem, is this thing on? Hello? First post!

I've read carefully. I'm learning. Would you mind confirming these generalizations and observations? My quest for a 6-speed is about to begin.

Given that it's 2015 and I'm likely buying a 2011 5-series, is it safe to say that I'd be equally happy with a 6-speed manual 535 or 550?

My wife's '08 535xi touring 6-speed (oh, not for sale. Ever.) is perfectly fine perfectly stock. I'd likely get a tune for whatever I bought as I'm combining my 2 current daily drivers... a 2014 Fiesta ST (oh so fun!) and a 2011 Lincoln MKS with Ecoboost that's tuned to about 400hp... it ran a 12.9 in the quarter.

The hot rod Lincoln is a great car (I realize that a conversation for a different place) but I'm a stick-shift guy and find I gladly trade away some of the Lincoln's power (I never really use it all, just like having it!) for the precision and intamacy of a manual transmission BMW. My wife is in favor of anything that gets me out of the silly-fun Fiesta.

I'm not worried about fuel economy, so the 550i's thirst is irreleveant. I like power, but my wife's 535 goes pretty good, so I'd hardly feel stuck if that's what I got.

I know the 6-speeds are very rare, so ultimately I may not find enough selection that the choice between 535 and 550 is even mine to make. But is it safe to assume they're about equal?

The 550i is more car, has suffered from more depreciation, but will likely cost more to maintain?

The 535 is plenty of car and a bit more nimble, but lacks the grunt of the V8.

I'd intend to buy something with under 40,000 miles and keep it awhile. I'm a CPO fan, but not sure the warranty is a good fit... 2011 would be CPO'd until 2017, but if I put 10-12k a year on a 40000 mile car, I'd only be at 60,000 miles when I'm out of warranty. I know either can spit out a 4-figure repair bill, but might I be less foolish buying a non-CPO'd car if the miles stayed low?

Whatever I get will be RWD and won't have an automatic transmission, so that's a little reduction in potential trouble spots.

Lastly, does the N63 customer care program cover any owner or only the original owner? That could make the decision easy!

So... strictly 6-speed... any strong feelings one way or the other for my spirited daily driver/work car/family car?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0