Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu550 View Post
I get drone on mine anytime I'm under 2000 rpm's. Interesting you only get it at highway speeds. Is it because you're constantly shifting around town and cruising speed induces the drone because of the lower rpms?

I have a 550i M Sport so I know it's a different beast altogether but interesting the characteristics are so different between the I6 and the V8.

I get some drone in town but mostly in confort mode when rpm is below 2500 RPM. The car in sport mode keep rpm highier and most of the time off drone zone. I would say for my car there is two drone zone, first in comfort when RPM is too low (aournd 1.5 rpm) and around 1900 to 2200 rpm(65mph and above). On highway 55 mph to around 65mph the drone is very mild unless you are climbing a big hill and the car decide not to shift to get more power.
About the same as what I see. With an 8 speed transmission I find I'm almost never in 8th gear even on the highway unless I'm above 80mph which is rare because I don't commute for work.