03-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples12 View Post
It's in the same speed range,

The tech that went on the test drive with me said he couldn't fault it - between 45-70+ now, it's going back in on Tuesday. It's a horrible vibration that goes through the steering wheels, you can feel it in the accelerator pedal, through both front seats (passenger seat physically shakes) the rear view mirror vibrates to the point it distorts the image being reflected back to me and after a long drive my knee actually hurts and my arm holding the wheel will go numb! Never ever had this before in the literally hundreds of thousands of miles I've done in the past

Could this possibly be caused by bad wheel bearings?
When i changed to my summer wheels a cpl of weeks ago i did have a good listen and i could hear a sound similar to marbles in a jar but it was in both fronts so i thought it was normal?

(I'm no expert so no sure what i was listening for!)

Is there anything i ought to advise them to look for on Tues?
I can't look at this without keep coming back to the new propshaft making it worse. The new part has changed something. Harmonics?

So you've changed wheel sets, I'm assuming from your comments, there was no difference from the wheel change. If so, that really eliminates wheels from the issue, unless something really unusual is going on.

Some models have a vibration/harmonic damper/absorber, something like 140 Hz, (there are different values), on the diff casing. When we've discussed driveline vibrations in the F10/11 models, I do wonder if this is part of the issue/solution. I'd be experimenting with changing its frequency, (I assume it is still there, if one is fitted). I'd try running without it, see it I could temporarily add mass to it, to change its frequency. See if it changes and/or makes a difference in the speed range you get the vibrations.
Appreciate 0