View Single Post
      02-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #49
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

Baking the headlight at 275 for 30 proved uneventful.

Heated the lens with a heat gun up to 430 degrees (per IR thermoter reading) and the clear plastic began to bubble up. but the glue did not budge.

this is where I recall reading a thread of someone who did this, the only way to get the lens out is to hack up the entire clear lens into pieces, then cut the black head light assembly along the edge to reveal enough of the glue to then cut it with a knife.

This is that thread
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1119969

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmfm View Post
Unfortunately i dont have any pics (was busy crying for the mess i was in)
first you need to cut the lens around the screws and be careful o the upper side (there are wiring for the DRL) after removing part of the lens you can remove the screwd parts easily; then you are left with the hardest part (the lens part molded in the headlight body) this you have to cut the outer edge of the headlight body in order to cut the glue.
once you everything removed you install the dark piece and the screws in the new lens before installing it and gluing the outside edge to seal it.
dont start work if you dont have a small cutting tool (cutting drill?)

this by far the hardest DIY i ever done on this car (i have replaced the valve cover gasket with less effort)

LOL

going to get a proper reinforced dremmel cut off wheel from home depot, the red ones made of ceramic? just keep cracking and fly out into your retina.