04-23-2019, 04:48 PM   #9
ChesterCopperpot1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iFreak View Post
Hehehe......
This sounds like a good case of a BSD fault. I accidentally left a ground bolt loose after I did my large valve seal project on my 550i. It leads to three main components of the BSD system.

Oil level sensor
Alternator
DME

I changed out the alternator, no change
Changed out the oil level sensor, works beautifully.

Go the cheapest route first, and change out the sensor. I replaced the alternator as a precaution.

I'm happily will spend 250 dollars on a low mileage x5M alternator and a 7 dollar oil level sensor from the junkyard 2007 750li vs a 3k plus dme......and that isnt the issue lol.

Change out the sensor, make sure the ground bolts that holds the injection harness are secured/torqued

report back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 550iFreak View Post
Hehehe......
This sounds like a good case of a BSD fault. I accidentally left a ground bolt loose after I did my large valve seal project on my 550i. It leads to three main components of the BSD system.

Oil level sensor
Alternator
DME

I changed out the alternator, no change
Changed out the oil level sensor, works beautifully.

Go the cheapest route first, and change out the sensor. I replaced the alternator as a precaution.

I'm happily will spend 250 dollars on a low mileage x5M alternator and a 7 dollar oil level sensor from the junkyard 2007 750li vs a 3k plus dme......and that isnt the issue lol.

Change out the sensor, make sure the ground bolts that holds the injection harness are secured/torqued

report back.
Is the BSD a cable leading from those components to the DME? Have any photographs of the ground bolt that should be used? Any online literature for me to read? The shop also said my alternator needed to be replaced. Have had no issues charging and I've driven the car to and from Memphis (I'm in Nashville). That was before I knew the seriousness of the issue.
Appreciate 0