02-14-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveO View Post
Did anyone notice that BMW is marketing this car as more of a utilitarian vehicle (hence the need for that large trunk) but the rear doesn't have 3 person seating! only 2 bucket seats in the back. That kind of kills the utilitarian part of the car. That one tidbit didn't make any sense to me, but maybee the rear seating arrangement is a concept car only thing
I noticed that too, and didn't come to the clever conclusion that you've come up with. To be honest though, although I don't agree with someone's comments above saying this is the worst car BMW has ever made and that all of the current BMWs are horrible, I really don't get the point of this car.

Even if it did seat 5 people, it would still be pointless. It is generally similar size to the F01 7er, same number of passengers (again assuming its a 5-seater in the production version), and probably around the same weight as the 7er, and I read it would cost slightly less than the 7er.

With all that in mind, it will probably be run by the same engine as the X6/7er. Now why wouldn't you just buy a X5 instead? Same size, weight, engine, fuel consumption and environmental effects (one of the reasons why BMW said they are considering this car). It will probably give a better drive than the X5 since its slightly less SAV, but I'm going to guess that people who are in the market for something LIKE the X5 or similar are either buying it for the looks, size (and utility), or just because they like bigger cars. Someone wanting a X5 most likely (yes there are exceptions) won't be looking for the best-handling car. (Best handling in class, yes, but not ultimate sports handling). Having said that (if my opinion is correct, and yes I understand this is simply just an opinion), I believe the X5 is a good enough option that BMW should not (and shouldn't have) see(n) the need, in the current economy, to invest in R&D, production, and marketing for this car.

I don't think the market for this car is large enough for BMW to see a need to run into it in a potentially risky economic environment, but that's just my opinion...

Sorry for long post.
Appreciate 0