MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
I'd prefer a regular rental car over a new Rio.

Your availability and pickup options also matter. For travelers flying into an airport, they are looking for options that offer free curbside dropoffs, then the less convenient options, the more convient you can make pickup/drop the better you will do imo. Those that offer that good service will get more traffic.

As per cars, I don't think econoboxes will do well on Turo vs Rental companies. I'm sure they can do okay, but I think the niche vehicles that are higher priced at rental companies are where it's at. SUVs, Convertibles, Luxury cars, sport cars are where more Turo renters would be looking.

But i'm just guessing, not real data. It will also depend on the area/market.

LAX seems to be a busy market for Turo.
Cars in my area (West Palm Beach) seem overpriced, so perhaps there is a real opportunity there, just not sure if the demand is there, or what would be more in demand.
I think they are better for you want something that your regular rental companies don't offer. When I used them, I wanted something fancy to take my partner up to Napa for a birthday weekend trip and got a M4 for the weekend. I've also used them for times I had before mentioned 330 in the shop for a few days and thought it would be cool to try out a specific model of BMW I was considering replacing the E46 with and you can't really rent those, in the US at least, at a regular rental place.

But you are right, under most circumstances the usual rental places are going to be easier and probably cheaper, if you don't mind driving around in the usual super basic rental car.
Appreciate 0