View Single Post
      02-21-2019, 07:24 AM   #1
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

My Feb 2019 BM3 vs MHD thread

OK - so - weird title. I start this thread because things have changed very quickly in BM3 and MHD ECU flash circles. Searching isn't as helpful as for some other topics because even information from last summer is now outdated and invalid. Additionally, what people want from a tune varies widely. Maybe the thread will help someone else decide down the road.

The situation:
My extended warranties are up. My drivetrain is stock N55 PWG. My F10 is in excellent shape and I'm likely to hang on to it. All that being said, we all know that a base suspension, X-Drive, no-DHP, no-DEC, no-ARS, 8AT F10 535xi is going to drive nothing like the 704 sport package, MT, RWD E39, E46 and E90s that I love to drive.

I'm looking at doing a few things to result in a more engaging driving experience from my F10 to close the gap to the old greats in terms of driving experience. I don't give a crap about beating someone else by half a car length to the next stop light. My drivetrain is stock and, other than software like MHD/BM3/xHP/xDelete, is likely to stay that way. I have an M Performance Exhaust I run in the summer for driving engagement, not power gains. I have beefed up anti-sway bars and once I get over the price tag I'm hoping to put KWv3s on and I'm done.

From a tune I wouldn't mind more power, ability to disable cold start, I'd like to add modest burbles, more responsiveness, and the ability to configure/log/read/reset parameters to understand and control what's going on. I am likely to run a stage 1 91 or 93 map, possibly a stage 2 and watch my temperatures with something like a P3.

From what I see right now:

- performance is similar, though there are stories out there of BM3 resulting in more power on modified cars. I think they trade blows and every map version makes progress.

- both MHD and BM3 have excellent driveability because they are an ECU flash.

- both offer "return to stock", both stock map, and fully stock with ECU re-locked just in case that's required for dealers or smog checks.

- both MHD and BM3 have switchable options like top speed limiter, cold start and burbles. In stock form, however, BM3 allows you to click "edit" and change everything, including about 7-8 sliders for burble tuning alone (duration, aggressiveness, min/max RPM, min/max road speed). Everything else is opened up if you want to start with an OTS map and alter it slightly. MHD gives you a burble slider and I don't believe it has editing capability with the basic license. Note - minute tuning to burbles isn't necessarily the focus, but an indication of the "tweakability" offered by the BM3 option. If you can do this just for burbles...

- BM3 is more expensive, but for that price you get all maps, logging, full editing, one time transfer of license to another VIN, cloud storage for maps, logs and stock ECU backup. Once you factor everything in and try to purchase the equivalent for MHD they're pretty close.

- BM3 looks and feels a lot more like a "platform" to step off of. It does more, can still do more, and runs on windows, mac, android and IOS. It uses an agent for OBD interface which is separate from control/log/flash, but can still run solely on my "car tools" laptop with ENET cable. I have a Raspberry Pi3 around and could download the software to flash to it for free and have wifi interface to the car on the go.

- I LOVE "options" - things to make the way I want. What else might come along? Throttle pedal response curves? Linear throttle setting that acts like a bowden cable from the 90s with no adaptation ever? I feel like the platform as BM3 has built it makes it easier to offer more to users.

- MHD is a phone app. It's both pro and con. Can do "less", but is also easier to whip out on the go and fix/change something without so much depending on the cloud.

- BM3 depends heavily on the cloud. This is a pro and con. If a BM3 principal decides they don't want to do this any more, the whole platform could disappear and be useless. I wonder if MHD would still be able to flash to stock from backup files on phone or other storage at the very least. If www.bootmod3.net goes away, I don't think BM3 can do anything at all.

- If I've read correctly, Pro Tuning Freaks HQ is about a 20 minute drive from me. MHD is in Germany. Likely to matter? No. But maybe one day it could...

- Both seem to have great support online

- MHD seems "more popular". Maybe because you can get on board for less $$?

I'm curious about others who have looked at the same things and whether I've correctly understood some of the differences between the two.

In the past I've been burned by stuff that's like VHS vs. Beta. I spend time evaluating, determine that Beta is clearly superior, jump on board, then the market chooses VHS for some stupid reason and now I need to switch. Right now I'm favouring BM3 but wonder if I'm not making the same mistake again...

I know that "I'll be fine with either". It's just car ECU software. I'm still interested in experiences out there. It's not a life-altering chunk of change but I'd still like to go the best direction.

Last edited by Surly73; 02-21-2019 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0