View Single Post
      11-05-2019, 08:39 PM   #16
MatthewLC
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i

Since no one else has any long term feedback on Bootmod3, I'll provide my input. I've been using it for about 1-1.5 years.

If you don't feel like reading all my feedback the summary is: Bootmod3 and MHD both achieve the same overal result. It really comes down to which "nuances" you prefer of each platform (Ex. Android only vs. multi platform). Power is practically going to be the same, one might make slightly more than the other but there's so many variables that play into power output that I believe it's a wash.

Anyways, there were a few reasons why I decided to go with Bootmod3. The biggest being, I already had an enet cable and I don't own any Android devices. The additional costs associated with having to buy a tablet/phone, K-DCAN cable (which would really has no other user on an F10) and having the ability to use my laptop to flash the car is what sold me. Plus I figured it would be cool to support a local company.

Flashing is quick, the first unlock took a few minutes from what I can recall. The agent will automatically update if it's out of date, which is nice. It works well on Mac OS or Windows. This is nice when I'm using bootcamp on my mac, I don't have to bother switching back. I've flashed the DME maybe 30-40 times so far and it's super quick. Map changes don't ever take more than 30 seconds. Map flashes are quick enough that I don't ever worry about hooking up a charger. Map "configs" are practically the same, you can select the burbles, cold start delete, etc... Pretty much the same options as MHD except Bootmod3 does not have a "linear throttle" setting.

The other thing that sold me is the built in map editor. My intent was always to mess around and create my own tune/map. This might get slightly technical but with MHD you can still create/edit maps but that requires additional steps. You would have to the save the bin, download/install Tuner Pro, obtain the correct XDF file and perform all the changes to the bin file in Tuner Pro. From there you would have to transfer the map back to MHD and flash the car. With Bootmod3 it's all in one place, there is no need to select an XDF file (it's all done automatically) and you can even flash/datalog from the map editor screen. The other benefit I've found is when comparing the public XDF that MHD has released vs. Bootmod3, is that Bootmod3 has significantly more tables defined. Although I haven't really found any use for the additional tables so far(way over my head) but it's nice to know it's all there.

Now to the things that are annoying. The UI for Bootmod3 is through the web browser. The agent is just used to connect to the car and perform that task of flashing. This means you have to have an internet connection in order to launch the UI. You can disconnect and work "offline" but it requires a one time web/data connection to log in and load the interface. All of the maps/datalogs are stored in the cloud. To flash a map you either need to ensure you're connect to the web or you have to remember to download the map ahead of time to be able to flash offline.

The other thing that is annoying, for a small group of people, is the OTS maps. If you're only planning to use the OTS maps and ONLY a have 2011 F10 n55 (especially with no DEC switch) I would likely recommend MHD. The 2011 F10 basically has the same engine/fuel system/dme as the E90 N55. No other F series platform uses the same combination other than the 2011 F10. MHD has spent a lot more time refining these maps since the E90 community is much larger and my assumption is that you might get a slightly better refined OTS map. The last time the Bootmod3 OTS maps for the 2011 have been updated are close to 1.5 years ago. This doesn't mean that the OTS maps are bad but you should be aware that Bootmod3's core market are 2012+ F series cars, so updates will be significantly less frequent due to the small market size.

I had an issue with my car feeling laggy and then having a sudden rush of power with the OTS maps. Went over the car a bunch, thought it was a mechanical issue. Turns it out is was tune related. Because I did not have a DEC switch, I couldn't take advantage of the enhanced throttle/spool maps and the car was always in comfort mode. Raised a ticket with Bootmod3 but they didn't seem too interested in assisting. They had suggested a custom tune. I've put together my own custom tune (Similar to what I would call a "stage 0.5" map) and it solved the laggy feeling. This also meant I couldn't use the built in burble adjuster cause it only controls the burbles in Sport & Sport+ and with no DEC switch I couldn't put my car in either mode. The other item related to the burbles is that even when I set the burbles to Off, it wouldn't turn off. The car would continue to use the default burble settings in the OTS map.

My car is a 6spd so I haven't used the transmission flash. From my understanding all it does is just raise the torque limits, so there’s no need to mask the torque output in maps. I don't believe there are any shift improvements.

Anyways, that's most everything. I’ll eventually add my feedback on the wifi agent and Surly73 I have a theory on what might be causing your “lag” with linear mapping. This is only based on my small experience tuning the BMW DME and torque based mapping but I'll stop rambling for now...lol

Last edited by MatthewLC; 11-05-2019 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0